When you marry an active duty or retired service member, you become entitled to military benefits, including TRICARE.
- Your sponsor must register you in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
- Once registered in DEERS, you'll get your own uniformed services identification card and you can start using TRICARE.
Your Health Plan Options
You may be eligible for the following health plans:
*Active duty spouses can also enroll in one of these Prime options with their active duty sponsors:
- TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition.. >>See what's covered
- TRICARE provides a robust pharmacy benefit.
- You can enroll in one of TRICARE's dental plans:
Your health care costs are based on your sponsor's status (active duty or retired) and which health plan option you are using.
Coverage for Children
Biological, adopted and step-children are covered by TRICARE.
- Eligibility for children
- Giving birth or adopting
- Coverage for college students
- When children become adults
TRICARE pays after your other health plan in most cases. Compare TRICARE to your health plan and decide which best meets your needs.
Last Updated 12/19/2018