Qualifying Life Event?
You have 90 days after your activation date to change your family’s TRICARE health plan.
When you're activatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row.:
- You’ll receive the same benefits as active duty service members.
- Your family also gets TRICARE coverage as active duty family members.
Activating vs. Mobilizing
- "Activating" is not the same as "mobilizing." While you will be activated when you mobilize (or get ready to deploy), you don’t always mobilize when you are activated.
Do you have delayed-effective-date orders?
- If yes, then you qualify for the early eligibility pre-activation benefit:
- Coverage begins up to 180 days before you report to active duty
- Includes pharmacy and dental care
- Family members are also covered during this pre-activation period
- Benefits continue when active duty service begins
- If you don't meet early eligibility requirements, coverage for you and your family begins on the first day of your orders
Your Health Plan Options
When you get to your final duty station, you'll enroll in a TRICARE Prime plan.
Your Family's Health Plan Options
Family members may be able to enroll in a Prime plan depending on where they live. They can also use:
- TRICARE Select
- US Family Health Plan
- TRICARE Select Overseas
- TRICARE For Life (if they have Medicare Part A & B)
If your adult child uses TRICARE Young Adult, their coverage won’t change when you activate.
Are you currently using TRICARE Reserve Select?
TRICARE Reserve Select coverage ends when you activate.
- You'll get a refund for premiums you paid for coverage after your activation date.
- You can purchase TRS again when you deactivate, if you still qualify for it.
- You qualify for active duty dental benefits when you activate.
- If you enrolled in the TRICARE Dental Program:
- Your coverage will end.
- Your family members stay in the TRICARE Dental Program, but at lower rates.
Learn more about other Qualifying Life Events
If you're enrolled in the Federal Employee's Health Benefit Program and called to military duty, you may be able to continue coverage or elect to drop the coverage. >>Learn More about Coverage for Civilian Employees Called to Military Duty
Last Updated 6/12/2023