Family Members of National Guard or Reserve Members
Your TRICARE coverage is based on your sponsor's coverage and military status:
- On military duty for less than 30 days
- ActivatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row.
- Deactivated-after leaving active duty (for a period of more than 30 consecutive days
For you to be eligible for any TRICARE benefits, your sponsor must register you in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
Your Health Plan Options
Sponsor on Military Duty for Less than 30 Days
- TRICARE Reserve Select (when your sponsor is qualified and purchases the plan)
Sponsor is Activated
You may qualify for one of the following health plan options:
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Prime Overseas
- TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas
- TRICARE Select
- TRICARE Select Overseas
- TRICARE For Life
- US Family Health Plan
Some of these health plan options require you to enroll by submitting an enrollment application.
Sponsor is Deactivated
When your sponsor leaves active duty, he or she may qualify for transitional coverage through the Transitional Assistance Management Program followed by TRICARE Reserve Select (if he or she requalifies).
You can purchase the TRICARE Dental Program. It's separate from TRICARE's health benefit and requires a separate enrollment.
TRICARE offers a robust pharmacy benefit. You're eligible when:
- You're enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select
- Your sponsor is on active duty orders
- You're covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
Your health care costs are based on which health plan option you are using.
Coverage for Children
Biological, adopted and step-children are covered by TRICARE.
- Eligibility for children
- Giving birth or adopting
- Coverage for college students
- When children become adults
Last Updated 12/14/2018