Qualifying Life Event?
You have 90 days from the date of marriage to make changes to your TRICARE health plan.
Spouses of service members are eligible for TRICARE. This includes:
- Active duty spouses
- Retired spouses
- Guard/Reserve spouses
- Same-sex spouses
In the following situations, getting married causes TRICARE benefits to end:
- Surviving (widowed) spouse remarries
- Former spouse remarries
- Adult child using TRICARE Young Adult gets married
Step-child(ren) are also eligible for TRICARE as long as the parent of the child and sponsor are married.
Your spouse and step-child(ren) must be registered in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
- Go to any ID card-issuing office to add your spouse to DEERS.
- You'll need the following documents (originals or certified copies):
- Marriage certificate
- Spouse's birth certificate
- Spouse's Social Security card
- Spouse's photo ID
Spouse and Family Health Care Options
Your spouse’s TRICARE plan depends on where you live and your military status.
- TRICARE Prime* (If you're currently enrolled in TRICARE Prime and paying individual enrollment fees, you’ll begin paying family enrollment fees when your spouse enrolls in TRICARE Prime.)
- TRICARE Select
- US Family Health Plan*
- TRICARE Select Overseas
- TRICARE For Life
Active duty spouses may also be able to enroll in one of these Prime plans with their active duty sponsors:
When two active duty service members get married, they'll each have their own DEERS record. If they have children, only one parent is the sponsor in DEERS. For more information, call 1-800-538-9552 or log in to milConnect.
*You must enroll. If overseas, family members must be command-sponsored.
TRICARE has a dental plan your spouse can purchase. This dental plan is separate from TRICARE's health plans.
- TRICARE Dental Program: For family members of active duty and Guard/Reserve service members
If you’re retired, you and your family members may qualify to purchase dental coverage through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). For more information, visit BENEFEDS.com.
Now, eligible beneficiaries enrolled in a TRICARE health plan can also enroll in a vision plan through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP).
Eligible beneficiaries include:
- Family of active duty service members
- National Guard members and their family
- Reservists and their family
- Retirees and their family
- TRICARE For Life members
Learn more about plans, eligibility, and costs at BENEFEDS.com.
TRICARE provides a robust pharmacy benefit.
Health care costs depend on your health plan and sponsor's military status.
Learn more about other Qualifying Life Events
Your spouse must be command-sponsored to enroll in an overseas Prime option.
Last Updated 6/12/2023