TRICARE Young Adult

TRICARE Young Adult is a premium-based health care plan that adult dependent children who qualify can purchase. If you qualify, you have four ways to purchase TRICARE Young Adult:


Go to the milConnect website:

  • Click "Beneficiary Web Enrollment"
  • Click the red "Log On" link at the top of the page
  • Choose the “Medical” tab to enroll
By Phone

Call your regional contractor to enroll and set up your payment:

  • East: 1-800-444-5445
  • West: 1-844-866-9378
  • US Family Health Plan: 1-800-748-7347
  • Overseas: Call your regional call center, select option 4. Please note the following when enrolling overseas:
    • The Prime Option is limited to command-sponsored active duty family members
      • To show command-sponsorship, you need the sponsor's order number and date on the orders
    • If enrolling in the Select option, please enroll by fax or in the mail
By Fax or Mail

Download the TRICARE Young Adult application (DD Form 2947) for your region:

Mail or fax it with your initial two-month premium-payment to your regional contractor or US Family Health Plan Provider, whichever applies.

  • Mailing addresses and fax numbers are found on the form.
  • Make checks or money orders for the initial premium payable to your regional contractor or US Family Health Plan Provider.

Using the Prime or Select Option

Follow the guidelines below when completing the form if you fax or mail your application:

  • Chose "TRICARE Select" to use the Select Option; this includes dependents of sponsors enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select and TRICARE Retired Reserve.
  • Chose "TRICARE Prime" to use the Prime Option; only active duty family members can select the Prime option in remote areas.
  • Chose "TRICARE Overseas Prime" to use the Prime Option in all overseas areas (remote or non-remote). Only command-sponsored children of active duty service members can select this box.
  • Chose "US Family Health Plan" to choose the US Family Health Plan as your Prime Option; only available in six geographic areas, learn more.

Getting Started With TRICARE Young Adult

You'll be notified by your regional contractor when your enrollment is processed. Once enrolled, you can log in to milConnect to download your enrollment card. 

For details about your coverage, download the fact sheet listed in the "Related Downloads" section on the right side of this page.

Go Paperless!

If you’re registered on milConnect, you can sign up to get eCorrespondence. When you do, we’ll notify you by email when your enrollment is active.

Need a new ID card?

You can enroll in TRICARE Young Adult without a valid ID card. When your coverage begins, and you're notified by your regional contractor, visit any ID card office to get a new ID card. You should show your ID card when you go to the doctor.

Last Updated 8/5/2021