When Coverage BeginsTRICARE Reserve Select is open for enrollment any time during the year.
- When completing your form online, select the requested start date offered.
- You can choose for coverage to start on the first of the next month, or the first of the following month.
- The form must be received or postmarked by the last day of the month to get your requested start date.
Here’s an Example:
- On April 15, you log on to milConnect.
- When completing your Reserve Component Health Coverage Request Form, you have the option for your coverage to start on May 1 or June 1.
- Select your start date: May 1 or June 1.
- Print and send your form to the regional contractor at the address on the form.
- Your form must be received or postmarked by April 30 to get your requested start date of May 1 or June 1, whichever you selected on the form.
When You Lose Other TRICARE Coverage
You may lose coverage for a number of reasons, such as these scenarios:
- You deactivate and aren’t eligible for Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) coverage.
- You deactivate, are eligible for TAMP, and the 180 days of coverage ends.
- You separate from active duty (active component of a Uniformed Service) and join a Reserve Component.
- Your form must be received or postmarked no later than 90 days after the loss of other TRICARE coverage.
- Coverage begins on the first day after you lose other TRICARE coverage.
Guidelines for Scenario #3:
You separate from an Active Component of the Uniformed Services and join a Reserve Component.
|You join a Reserve Component ...
|Then you ...
|Your form must be received or postmarked ...
|On the day immediately following your last day on active duty.
|May be eligible for 180 days of TAMP coverage. When TAMP ends, you may purchase TRICARE Reserve Select with no break in coverage.
|No later than 90 days after the loss of TAMP coverage.
|Sometime after your last day on active duty. This could be days, weeks or months later.
|Can purchase TRICARE Reserve Select at any time after your active duty service ends. There will be a break in coverage.
During this break, you may consider purchasing the Continued Health Care Benefit Program until your TRICARE Reserve Select coverage begins.
When completing your form online, select your requested start date. This will be the first of the next month or the first of the following month.
|No later than the last day of the month you complete the form.
Changes in Your Family
The application deadlines and effective dates of coverage are different if you have family changes. These include marriage, birth, adoption or a sponsor's death. >>View Life Events
Last Updated 6/3/2019