Surviving Children Who May Qualify for TRICARE Young Adult

If your sponsor is eligible for TRICARE, and you are between the ages of 21 (or 23 if you’re in college full-time) and 26, then you can enroll in TRICARE Young Adult.

If your sponsor dies before you're enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult, you might still qualify to enroll. , However, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • You’re not married.
  • You’re not covered by your own employer-sponsored health insurance.
  • When your sponsor died, he or she was eligible for and covered by TRICARE health benefits:
    • Active duty or retired TRICARE benefits
    • TRICARE Reserve Select*
    • TRICARE Retired Reserve*
    • Transitional Assistance Management Program

You won’t qualify for TRICARE Young Adult if:

  • Your sponsor was Selected Reserve or Retired Reserve, and
  • Your sponsor was eligible for TRICARE Reserve Select or TRICARE Retired Reserve, and
  • They had not yet purchased the plan

Note: Losing your eligibility for TRICARE means you also lose your transitional survivor status.

Last Updated 10/11/2022