Act Now: TRICARE Open Season Starts Today
TRICARE Open Season begins today, Monday, Nov. 9 and ends Monday, Dec. 14. If you’re enrolled in or eligible for a TRICARE Prime option or TRICARE Select, open season applies to you. This is your chance to enroll in a health plan or change your health plan for next year. Your enrollment choices will take effect on Jan. 1, 2021.
“This is a great opportunity for you to consider your options and choose the TRICARE health plan that best serves each of your family members,” said Mark Ellis, chief of the Policy and Programs Section of the TRICARE Health Plan with the Defense Health Agency. “Think about plan costs, how and where you like to get care, as well as any big life changes that you expect next year. This will help you decide what action to take during open season.”
Outside of TRICARE Open Season, you can only enroll in or change your TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Select plan following a Qualifying Life Event, as outlined in the TRICARE Plans Overview. This means if you’re currently not enrolled and choose not to enroll in a health plan by Dec. 14, you’ll only be able to receive care at military hospitals and clinics if space is available.
Options During TRICARE Open Season
If you’re eligible to take part in open season, you have three options:
- Stay in your plan. If you want to stay in your current TRICARE health plan next year, you don’t need to re-enroll. You’ll continue in your current health plan through 2021 or as long as you’re eligible. If you’re a Group AIf you or your sponsor’s initial enlistment or appointment occurred before January 1, 2018, you are in Group A. retiree or family member enrolled in TRICARE Select, you must set up payment for monthly enrollment fees to continue your current coverage. Act now to set up payment.
- Enroll in a plan. If you’re eligible for a TRICARE Prime option or TRICARE Select but not enrolled, you can enroll in a plan now.
- Change plans. If you’re already enrolled in a TRICARE Prime option or TRICARE Select, you can switch plans and switch between individual and family enrollment.
Ways to Enroll or Change Plans
If you choose to enroll in or change your health plan, you can use any of the options below. Before you decide on the best health coverage to meet your or your family’s needs, use TRICARE resources. You can compare TRICARE Prime, US Family Health Plan, and TRICARE Select features with the Compare Plans Tool. You can also compare plan costs with the Compare Costs Tool.
Online: Log in to milConnect and click on “Benefits.” Then click on “Beneficiary Web Enrollment (BWE)” from the menu.
- By phone: Call your TRICARE regional contractor.
- By mail: Fill out and mail your enrollment form to your regional contractor.
- In person: Visit an overseas TRICARE Service Center.
TRICARE Open Season Doesn’t Affect Everyone
TRICARE Open Season doesn’t apply to active duty service members. It also doesn’t apply to you if you use any of the following health plans:
Do you need dental or vision coverage, too? See if you’re eligible for the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). Open season for FEDVIP dental and vison plans also starts today.
Last Updated 6/8/2022