TRICARE Prime is a managed care option available in Prime Service AreasGeographic areas in the U.S. where we offer TRICARE Prime. They ensure medical readiness of active duty by adding to the capability and capacity of military hospitals and clinics. Prime Service Areas were also built around the Base Realignment and Closure sites..
- Check the Plan Finder to see if you live in a Prime Service Area
- Enrollment is required; some beneficiaries pay annual enrollment fees.
Additional TRICARE Prime options for active duty service members and their families include:
Who Can Participate?
- Active duty service members and their families
- Retired service members and their families*
- ActivatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. Guard/Reserve members and their families
- Non-activated Guard/Reserve members and their families who qualify for care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Retired Guard/Reserve members at age 60 and their families*
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families
- Qualified former spouses
*When retired service members and their families become eligible for Medicare based on age, they aren't eligible to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
How it Works
You have an assigned primary care manager (PCM) who provides most of your care.
- Military or network provider
- Refers you to specialists for care he or she can't provide
- Works with your regional contractor for referrals/authorization
- Accepts your copaymentA fixed dollar amount you may pay for a covered health care service or drug. and files claims for you
What You Pay
- Active duty service members pay nothing out-of-pocket.
- Active duty family members pay nothing unless using the point-of-service option.
- All other beneficiaries pay annual enrollment fees and network copayments.
Is TRICARE Prime Right for You?
- If you're on active duty, you have to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
- All others can choose to enroll in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Select.
- TRICARE Prime offers fewer out-of-pocket costs than TRICARE Select, but less freedom of choice for providers.
- If you have other health insuranceHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance.", TRICARE Prime might not be right for you.
How to Enroll
For information on disenrolling or ending plan coverage, visit the Disenrolling in TRICARE Prime page.Change My PCM
Last Updated 11/3/2023