Continued Health Care Benefit Program
The Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) is a premium-based. This plan:
- Gives you temporary health coverage for 18 to 36 months when you lose eligibility for TRICARE.
- Acts as a bridge between military health benefits and your new civilian health plan.
- Provides the same coverage as TRICARE Select, including prescriptions.
- Gives you minimum essential coverageBasic health care coverage that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement. required by the Affordable Care Act. Make sure to consider your options for when CHCBP ends.
If you qualify for the CHCBP, you can enroll within 60 days of losing your eligibility for TRICARE.
If you were using one of the following plans and want to qualify for CHCBP, your plan must have been purchased and in place at least one day before you lost eligibility:
- TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS)
- TRICARE Retired Reserve (TRR)
- TRICARE Young Adult
You may qualify to purchase the CHCBP in the following scenarios. In all cases, the service member's separation must be under "other than adverse conditionsA separation that is other than "honorable" or "general".”.
|Former Category||Scenario||Length of Coverage|
|Active Duty Service Member||Released from active duty||Up to 18 months|
|Full-time National Guard Member||Separated from full-time status||Up to 18 months|
|Member covered by the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)||Loss of TAMP coverage||Up to 18 months|
|Selected Reserve member covered by TRS||Loss of TRS coverage||Up to 18 months|
|Retired Reserve member covered by TRR||Loss of TRR coverage (before age 60)||Up to 18 months|
|Dependent spouse or child||Loss of TRICARE coverage||Up to 36 months|
|Unremarried former spouse||Loss of TRICARE coverage||Up to 36 months*|
*Unremarried former spouses may qualify for additional coverage. Please check with Humana Military for details.
Are you getting ready to deactivate?
- You may qualify for the TRICARE Assistance Management Program (TAMP) and/or TRICARE Reserve Select. CHCBP follows both of these programs.
- If you qualify to purchase CHCBP, you must do so within 60 days of loss of TAMP or within 30 days of loss of TRICARE Reserve Select.
- Talk to your personnel office for more information.
The CHCBP contractor is Humana Military. Humana Military provides services for enrollment, authorization, claims processing and customer service. For more information about CHCBP or to see if you qualify:
- Visit the CHCBP website
- Call Humana Military at 1-800-444-5445
Last Updated 6/12/2023