Your eye exam coverage depends on:
- Who you are
- Your TRICARE plan
- Your age
You may need a referral and/or pre-authorization before you get an eye exam. >>Learn more.
For full information on your eye exam coverage, visit:
- Eye Exams for Active Duty Service Members
- Eye Exams for Active Duty Family Members
- Eye Exams for Retirees, their Families, and All Others
- Eye Exams for Guard/Reserve Members and Their Families
Routine Eye Exams
You can visit an optometrist for a Routine Eye ExamAn exam of your vision and the health of your eyes..
- You’ll get a prescription for glasses if you need them
- A prescription for contact lenses requires a separate exam
- A routine eye exam is more than the simple vision screening test your primary care doctor may do with a standard eye chart
In general, TRICARE covers routine eye exams:
- As needed for active duty service members to maintain fitness for duty
- Once a year for active duty family members
- Every two years for all other TRICARE Prime beneficiaries (e.g. retired service members, their families, etc.)
- Once a year for diabetic patients in TRICARE Prime
Note: Costs for eye exams vary based on plan.
Well-Child Eye ExamsEye exams through TRICARE’s Well-child Care benefit are routine eye exams that may be given every two years between the ages of three and six that also include screening for amblyopia (lazy eye) and strabismus (crossed eyes). These eye exams are provided by an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
TRICARE covers well-child eye exams from an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Every two years
- Between the ages of three and six
- Includes screening for amblyopia (lazy eye) and strabismus (crossed eyes)
- No cost for well-child exams, regardless of plan
TRICARE covers eye exams and other specialized services to diagnose or treat eye conditions.
You may be eligible for vision coverage through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). If you’re eligible and want to enroll in a FEDVIP vision plan, you need to take action during a Qualifying Life Event (QLE) or during the next TRICARE Open Season in Fall 2022. >>Learn more.
Last Updated 9/3/2019