Glasses and Contacts
Your coverage for glasses or contacts depends on who you are. Please see the appropriate section to see your coverage.
You can get glasses from the optometry clinic at your military hospital or clinic.
- One standard issue pair of glasses
- One standard issue pair of sunglasses
- One pair of glasses of your choice. You can choose from many frames and colors
If you don’t live near a military hospital or clinic, you can order your glasses from the Navy Ophthalmic Support Training Activity Command.
Non-Activated Guard/Reserve Members
Your unit will order your glasses from the Navy Ophthalmic Support Training Activity Command.
- If you get called to active duty, you’ll get glasses like an active duty service member. See above.
Retired Service Members
You can order glasses from the Navy Ophthalmic Support Training Activity Command. You can find ordering instructions and options on their website.
All Other Beneficiaries
TRICARE only covers glasses and contacts to treat certain conditions. This includes:
- Infantile glaucoma
- Corneal or scleral lenses for treatment of keratoconus
- Scleral lenses to retain moisture when normal tearing is not present or is inadequate
- Corneal or scleral lenses to reduce corneal irregularities other than astigmatism
- Intraocular lenses, contact lenses, or glasses for loss of human lens function resulting from intraocular surgery, ocular injury or congenital absence
- "Pinhole" glasses prescribed for use after surgery for detached retina
TRICARE doesn't cover adjustments, cleaning, and repairs for glasses.
Vision Coverage through FEDVIP Starting in 2019
You may have the option to enroll in vision coverage through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). The first opportunity to enroll will be during the 2018 Open Season. For more information, visit https://tricare.mil/FEDVIP.