Getting Care When Traveling During School Breaks
You should get all of your routine care from your regular doctor before you travel during a school break, especially if you use TRICARE Prime.
If you need to see a doctor when traveling, here are some basic guidelines.
Go to the nearest emergency roomClick to closeThe hospital department that provides emergency services to patients who need immediate medical attention., or call 911.
- You may need to pay up front and file a claim for reimbursement.
- Keep all of your receipts and file claims in the region where you live, not where you went to the ER.
- If you use a TRICARE Prime plan, be sure to call your regional contractor or primary care manager within 24 hours.
All Other Types of Care
- If you use a TRICARE Prime plan, you may get two urgent care visits per fiscal yearClick to closeOctober 1 - September 30 without a referral from your primary care manager.
- For all others, visit any TRICARE-authorized providerClick to closeAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network.. You may need to pay up front and file a claim for reimbursement.
Last Updated 10/17/2016