My Military Health Records
You should keep copies of your medical documentation, records, and health care history information for your own reference.
- If you get most care at military hospitals or clinics, you’ll have a DoD electronic health record.
- If you retired or separated after Jan. 1, 2014, paper copies of your Service Treatment Records (STRs) were digitized following your retirement or separation from the Armed Forces. If your STRs don’t contain information classified as sensitive, they’ll be available via your Patient Portal, either TRICARE Online or MHS GENESIS.
- Civilian providers may keep paper records or use a private electronic health record system.
View and Download Personal Health Information with the Health Record button
You can view and download personal health information from your DoD electronic health record if:
- You get care at military hospitals and clinics
- You're a registered user on the TOL Patient Portal or the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal
To see your personal health information on the TOL Patient Portal:
Login to the TOL Patient Portal
Click the Health Record button
View, save ("PDF" or "TXT") your personal health data
Personal health information may include your lab results, allergy profile, medication profile, problem lists and office visit information. >>Learn More
To see your personal health information on the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal:
Share Your Medical Records
Use the Joint Health Information Exchange (jHIE) and eHealth ExchangeThe eHealth Exchange is a network of exchange partners who securely share clinical information across the United States. Not all medical organizations participate in the eHealth Exchange..
The eHealth Exchange is a network of exchange partners who securely share clinical information across the United States. Not all medical organizations participate in the eHealth Exchange to share your medical records.
The jHIE is now available at several sites around the U.S. allowing some of the information in your military electronic health record to be securely shared between the Department of Defense, Department of Veterans Affairs, and participating federal and civilian health care partners through the national eHealth Exchange.
Sharing your health information can save time and improve your care when you visit eHealth Exchange providers, including Veterans Affairs hospitals. >>Learn More.
TRICARE is in the process of switching from our current patient portal, TOL Patient Portal, to MHS GENESIS. The MHS GENESIS Patient Portal provides secure access to your medical and active duty dental health records, manage appointments, view lab results and exchange secure messages with your healthcare team.
Log in to your Secure Patient Portal
If your military hospital or clinic uses TOL, click here to log in: >>TRICARE Online
If your military hospital or clinic uses MHS GENESIS, click here to log in: >>MHS GENESIS
Not sure which portal your military hospital or clinic uses? Visit their website here: >>Military Hospitals and Clinics
Once there, click “Patient Portal” in the top right-hand corner of the homepage. You’ll be directed to the correct portal, either TOL or MHS GENESIS.
Last Updated 8/16/2022