Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System

You must be registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE. (DEERS) to get your TRICARE benefit.

  • Sponsors are automatically registered in DEERS
  • Sponsors must register eligible family members

If both parents are service members, choose one to be listed as the child(ren)'s sponsor in DEERS.

How to Update DEERS 

Adding or Removing Family Members

Only sponsors can add or remove family members:

Updating Your Contact Information

Contact information includes your address, email addresses or phone number(s). Family members can update contact information after they're registered in DEERS. 

  • Log into milConnect 
  • Call 1-800-538-9552 (TTY/TDD: 1-866-363-2883) 
  • Fax updates to 1-800-336-4416 (Primary) or 1-502-335-9980 (Alternate) 
  • Mail updates to:  
    • Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
      Attn: COA
      400 Gigling Road
      Seaside, CA  93955-6771

Note: Addresses must be a physical address; P.O. boxes can't be used.

Adding and Correcting Social Security Numbers (SSNs)

Sponsors (Not Retired) 
  • You'll update your SSN with your personnel office.
  • Your personnel office will report the correct SSN to DEERS and update your record.   
Sponsors (Retired)
  • First, get your SSN changes approved by your personnel office. Your personnel office will send the change to the Defense Finance and Accounting Office (DFAS) through existing processes.
  • You must present the required identity documents and your social security card to the personnel office. 
  • If you aren’t paid by DFAS (e.g. Coast Guard, NOAA, PHS), contact your Service Personnel Office to start the process. They will report the changes to DFAS.  
Family Members
  • You'll update your SSN at a local ID Card Office.
  • Call first to make an appointment to find out what documents you need to bring with you.

When You Should Update DEERS

Update DEERS whenever you have a change (this list is not all-inclusive):

If you're enrolled in any TRICARE plan (e.g. TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Select, TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve or TRICARE Young Adult) remember to also change your address and other personal information with your regional contractor.

Why You Should Update DEERS

Up-to-date DEERS records are vital to accessing your TRICARE benefit. It’s critical to keep your DEERS information up to date so you and your family can use TRICARE.

Errors in DEERS can cause problems with claims, authorization letters for referrals, and delivery of home delivery prescriptions. It’s also important to keep your information in DEERS up to date so you don’t miss important information and enrollment deadlines.


Last Updated 1/12/2023