Health Matters (East) Newsletter

East Region Health Matters Newsletter Header image

This quarterly newsletter provides information about your TRICARE benefit. This stateside edition contains information specific to beneficiaries living in the East Region. Check the map to find your region.

Get future issues of this newsletter, plus more news and benefit updates, delivered to your email. Sign up for TRICARE email updates.

Issue 2 | 2024

Female uniformed Service Member sits at a monitor and views mammogram images. 
  • The Power of Prevention: Get Cancer Screenings With TRICARE
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, catching cancer early is one of the best ways to protect yourself and your loved ones from cancer. By screening for cancer, you can take control of your health and potentially catch cancers before they progress.
  • Expecting a Child? Here’s How TRICARE Covers Maternity Services
    Recently learned you’re expecting a baby? Congratulations! This is an exciting time for your family. But you may also have questions about how to get care for yourself during and after your pregnancy. As you get ready to welcome your child, here’s some information about how TRICARE covers maternity services.
  • Q&A: What To Know as New TRICARE Contracts Begin in 2025
    New TRICARE contracts, known as T-5, will start on Jan. 1, 2025. Regional contractors manage administrative support services for the TRICARE benefit. The new contracts will improve health care delivery, quality, and access for beneficiaries living in the United States.
  • TRICARE and Marriage: What You Need To Know
    Getting married is an exciting time in your life. If you’re a military spouse, you probably have questions about your TRICARE health coverage. There are certain things you need to do to enroll in a TRICARE health plan.
  • Q&A: Moving and Your TRICARE Coverage
    As summer approaches and permanent change of station (PCS) season kicks into high gear, many military families find themselves preparing to move to a new duty location. Amid all the packing and planning, it’s important to make sure your TRICARE coverage is ready to move with you.
  • Mental Health Is Health: How To Get Mental Health Care With TRICARE
    Staying healthy is more than just taking care of your body. Even when you’re feeling good physically, you may notice you’re unusually sad, anxious, or exhausted. If so, you may be experiencing symptoms of a mental health concern—and you’re not alone. 
  • Where To Get Emergency Care With TRICARE
    If you or someone in your family needs emergency care, it’s important to go to the nearest place that can take care of emergencies. When you have TRICARE, it’s also important that you seek emergency care at a hospital emergency roomThe hospital department that provides emergency services to patients who need immediate medical attention. (ER) instead of a freestanding ER.
  • TRICARE Coverage Options for Your Adult Child
    Do you have adult children? You may have questions about how TRICARE covers them. Here are helpful answers for what changes to expect in your child’s TRICARE eligibility and benefits when they reach certain milestones.

FAQ image

My kids are coming home for school break. Do they need to transfer their TRICARE Prime enrollment?

No. To learn more on how your children can get care while at home, visit Getting Care When Traveling During School Breaks.

I’m an active duty service member on terminal leave. How do I get care?

Your TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote enrollment at your current duty station continues until you retire.

  • If you stay in the same area when you’re on terminal leave, you’ll continue to get care as an active duty service member. You must get a referral from your primary care manager (PCM) for nonemergency medical or dental care.
  • If you move when you’re on terminal leave, you can get care at any military hospital or clinic, but you must stay in TRICARE Prime at your current duty station. Contact your PCM for referrals before getting any nonemergency care. For example, if your current duty station is in Virginia and you’re in TRICARE Prime, but move to Montana while on terminal leave, you must contact your PCM in Virginia if you need nonemergency care.

To learn more, visit On Terminal Leave.


Update Your Contact Information in DEERS

When your life changes, make sure you update the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE. (DEERS). Incorrect information in DEERS could prevent you from being able to use your TRICARE benefits properly. There are four ways to update your contact information in DEERS:

  • Online via milConnect
  • By phone: 800-538-9552 (TTY/TDD: 866-363-2883)
  • By fax: 831-655-8317
  • By mail:

DMDC Support Office
Attn: COA
400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA  93955-6771

You also need to update your information with:

Health Matters (East) Newsletter: 2024—Issue 1

Health Matters (East) Newsletter: 2023—Issue 4

Health Matters (East) Newsletter: 2023—Issue 3

Last Updated 6/18/2024