TRICARE For Life Costs
Medicare Part B Premiums
When you use TRICARE For Life, you don't pay any enrollment fees, but you must have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B.
- Medicare Part A is paid from payroll taxes while you are working.
- Medicare Part B has a monthly premium, which is based on your income.
For more information:
- Visit www.medicare.gov
- Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778)
Costs for Covered Services
TRICARE pays after Medicare.
- In most cases, you'll pay nothing for covered services.
- If the care is covered by TRICARE but not Medicare, you'll pay the TRICARE For Life deductible and cost-shares. Examples include:
- Inpatient hospital stays longer than 150 days
- Care received outside of the U.S. or U.S. territories
- If the care isn't covered by Medicare or TRICARE, then you'll pay the entire amount.
- For more specific details, download the TRICARE For Life Cost Matrix.
Here's how it works:
|If the service is covered by:||Then, you pay:|
|Both Medicare and TRICARE||Nothing.|
|TRICARE, but not Medicare||
The TRICARE calendar year deductible and cost shares.
|Medicare, but not TRICARE||The Medicare deductible and coinsurance.|
Last Updated 12/31/2019