Using TRICARE For Life with Other Health Insurance
If you have other health insuranceHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance.", such as a Medicare supplement or an employer-sponsored health plan, you can use TRICARE For Life as long as you have both Medicare Parts A and B.
- TRICARE pays last after Medicare and your other health insurance
- Visit the Medicare website to see which plan—Medicare or your other health insurance—pays first
- After your other health insurance processes the claim, you will have to file a paper claim with the TRICARE For Life contractor, Wisconsin Physicians Service (WPS).
- WPS will process the claim and pay TRICARE's portion of the claim directly to you.
Send your paper claims to WPS along with a copy of:
- your provider's itemized bill,
- the Medicare Summary Notice, and
- the explanation of benefits from all other health insurances.
Your claim must be filed within one year from the date of care. For more information, visit the WPS website.
Want to order a hard copy of the TRICARE For Life Handbook? Call Wisconsin Physicians Service (WPS) at 1-866-773-0404.
Last Updated 11/18/2022