Prosthetic Devices and Supplies
If you have a significant condition resulting from trauma, congenital anomalies, or disease, TRICARE covers necessary prosthetics, prosthetic devices, and prosthetic supplies.
TRICARE also covers:
- Any accessory or item of supply that is used with the device for the purpose of achieving therapeutic benefit and proper functioning
- Services necessary to train the recipient on how to use the device
- Repair of the device for normal wear and tear or damage
- Customization of the prosthetic when provided by an authorized provider
- Replacement when required due to:
- growth or a change in the patient's condition,
- if the device is lost or irreparably damaged, or
- the cost of repair would exceed 60 percent of the cost of replacement.
- Surgical implants that are approved for use in humans by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 3/20/2022