Breast Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
TRICARE covers an annual breast MRI screening beginning at age 30, for women who have a 20% or greater lifetime risk of breast cancer. Your risk is determined by risk assessment tools based on family history, or if you have any of the following risk factors:
- Known BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation
- First degree relative (parent, child, sibling) with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation, and have not had genetic testing themselves
- Radiation therapy to the chest between the ages of 10 and 30 years
- History of Li-Fraumeni, Cowden, or Bannayan-Riley-Ruvalcaba syndrome, or a first degree relative with a history of one of these syndromes
TRICARE covers genetic counseling provided by a TRICARE authorized provider before BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene testing:
- For women identified as high risk for breast cancer by their primary care manager.
- For men if it is medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and appropriate.
- If you have a history of radiation therapy to the chest between the ages of 10 and 30.
- If you have a history of LiFraumeni, Cowden, or Bannayan-Riley-Ruvalcaba syndrome, or a parent, child or sibling with a history of one of these syndromes.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessary and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 10/3/2018