Skip to main content
Emergency Procedures in Place for Hurricane Michael
Click here for the latest information on emergency procedures in place.

Life Events

Learn more about Qualifying Life Events.
They can trigger a change in your TRICARE benefit.

Active Duty Service Members

If entitled to Medicare Part A, you're not required to have Medicare Part B to keep TRICARE. If waiting on a medical retirement determination, you're encouraged to keep Medicare Part B to ensure that you don't have a break in TRICARE coverage when you retire. 

Medicare-Eligibility due to a Disability

If you have a disability and receive Social Security disability payments, you'll become eligible for Medicare Part A and Part B beginning the 25th month of receiving Social Security disability payments, regardless of your age. You're eligible for a Medicare Part B special enrollment period anytime while on active duty or within the first eight months following retirement or loss of TRICARE, whichever comes first. To avoid a break in TRICARE coverage, enroll in Medicare Part B before you retire. 

>>Watch Video: Don't Lose Your TRICARE Benefits

Medicare-Eligibility due to End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)

If you are entitled to premium-free Medicare Part A because you have ESRD, you're strongly encouraged to keep Part B because you won’t be eligible for a special enrollment period.

If you decline or terminate Part B coverage, you may enroll in Medicare Part B during the general enrollment period which occurs each year January 1 through March 31. The Medicare Part B Late Enrollment PenaltyYour monthly premium for Part B may go up 10% for each full 12-month period that you could have had Part B, but didn't sign up for it. will apply.

Last Updated 1/11/2016

contact Your Contacts

DMDC/DEERS Support Office (DSO)

Toll-free: 1-800-538-9552
TTY/TTD: 1-866-363-2883
Fax: 1-800-336-4416 (Primary) or 1-502-335-9980 (Alternate)

Update DEERS Online



Medicare Website

View More Contacts