When practicing social distancing, you may want an alternative to having to travel to the pharmacy. Now is a good time to ensure you have adequate medication on hand to cut down on leaving the house. The TRICARE Pharmacy Program gives you three ways to get up to a 90-day supply of your covered prescriptions, including delivery right to your door.
Your prescription bottle shows the number of refills left. If you don’t have any refills left, call your health care provider. Most medications allow you to get up to a 90-day supply delivered to your door through TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery. Also, most medications are available for pick up at a military or retail network pharmacy.
Home delivery is a smart option to get brand-name maintenance drugs. A maintenance drug is one you take regularly for a chronic condition, like high cholesterol or high blood pressure. You may need to use a military or retail network pharmacy for certain drugs. There are some drugs that may have manufacture required restrictions when it comes to distribution. Also, some short-term use medications, like antibiotics, are best obtained from a military or retail network pharmacy. This way, therapy can begin as soon as possible.
At military pharmacies, you can get up to a 90-day prescription of many formulary drugs at no cost to you. At retail network pharmacies, you can also get up to three, 30-day supplies for the cost of three copayments. But home delivery is often the least costly option for you after military pharmacies. It offers up to a 90-day supply for one copaymentA fixed dollar amount you may pay for a covered health care service or drug. (for example, a 90-day supply of generic formulary drugs costs $10). You can check the TRICARE Formulary Search Tool to learn more about your prescription, including its formulary status, availability, and copayment.
How to Switch to TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery
Express Scripts, Inc. (Express Scripts) is the pharmacy contractor. There are many easy ways to switch your prescription to home delivery.
- Military pharmacy: Ask your military pharmacist to transfer your prescription to home delivery.
- Phone: Call Express Scripts at 1-877-363-1303. Have your prescription bottle ready.
- Mobile app: Use the Express Scripts mobile app to transfer your prescription to home delivery, if you have an existing prescription at a retail or military pharmacy.
- Online: Visit the Express Scripts website.
- e-Prescribe: Ask your doctor to submit your prescription electronically (e-Prescribe).
- Mail: Download and fill out the Home Delivery Order Form from the Express Scripts website. Mail the form and your 90-day prescription to the address on the form.
If you have other health insuranceHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance." with a pharmacy benefit, you can’t use home delivery unless either your other plan doesn’t cover your prescription or your other plan reached its dollar limit.
Home Delivery Overseas
Home delivery is only available overseas if you have an APO or FPO address, or are assigned to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. However, if you live in Germany, home delivery isn’t an option. The following applies to home delivery:
- There’s no cost for active duty service members. For all others, copayments apply for up to a 90-day supply of drugs.
- You don’t need to file claims.
- You need a prescription from a U.S.-licensed provider.
- Some drugs (for example, refrigerated drugs) can’t be shipped to APO and FPO addresses.
Consider making the switch to the TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery Program for your maintenance drugsAny drug you take regularly for a chronic condition.. To learn more about your pharmacy coverage and options for filling your prescriptions, check out the TRICARE Pharmacy Program Handbook and TRICARE Pharmacy Program Overview. Take command of your health—and prescriptions—with TRICARE.
Sign up for email alerts, and keep up with TRICARE and COVID-19 updates on the TRICARE website.