Separating from Active Duty | TRICARE

Separating from Active Duty

You and your family may qualify for temporary health care coverage when you separate from the service or “get out” before you retire.

Remember to schedule your Separation History and Physical Examination (SHPE) between 90 and 180 days before you separate or start terminal leave. The SHPE is a single separation examination used by the Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to capture your complete medical history. >>Learn More about the SHPE

Active Duty Service Members

There are two programs for temporary coverage. You may qualify for:

If you separate from active duty, that is different than if you retire. >>Learn More

National Guard/Reserve MembersClick to closeIncludes members of the:
  • Army National Guard
  • Army Reserve
  • Navy Reserve
  • Marine Corps Reserve
  • Air National Guard
  • Air Force Reserve
  • U.S. Coast Guard Reserve

What you can get depends on your military status before you separate.

If you separate right after active duty service, you may qualify for:

If you aren't activatedClick to closeCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. when you separate, you may qualify for temporary coverage. Check with your Service representative for details.

If you're a member of the Selected Reserve and get TRICARE Reserve Select, you may purchase the Continued Health Care Benefit Program when you separate.

You may be able to extend your TRICARE Reserve Select coverage up to 180 days.  You may qualify if you:

  • Are a member of the Selected Reserve
  • Get TRICARE Reserve Select 
  • Were involuntarily separated under not adverse conditions 

For more information, contact your Service personnel department.

Did You Know?

Family members, age 18 and older, can get a DS Logon for up to six months after sponsor’s separation so they can continue to access their information in MilConnect.

Last Updated 12/19/2017