Moving When Deploying | TRICARE

Moving When Deploying

Deploying isn’t considered a Qualifying Life Event (QLE), by itself. If a sponsor’s family chooses to relocate to a new country, city, or region during the service member’s deployment, the change of address for the active duty family members will trigger a QLE. Visit Moving to learn more.

Before deploying, sponsors should:

  • Leave a copy of their orders
  • Prepare a Power of Attorney
  • Fill out paperwork so family members can get copies of medical records and personal health information
  • Make necessary financial arrangements (allotments, automatic bill paying, etc.)


Always keep your family's information current in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).

  • Show your spouse how to make changes in DEERS while you're away
  • Get identification (ID) cards updated if they're about to expire


Make sure your family knows how to get health care while you're away.

  • Make a list of important phone numbers. Go to Contact Us for up-to-date phone numbers
    • Primary care manager or provider to call for appointments
    • Regional contractor
  • Review your family's TRICARE plan information. Go to Health Plans for information about your plan 
  • Talk about how and where to get prescriptions. Go to Pharmacy for information about the TRICARE Pharmacy Program 

Last Updated 11/8/2018