Using TRICARE Prime Overseas, TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas, TRICARE Young Adult-Prime (Overseas)

Follow the guidelines below for getting care when you travel.

Routine Care When Traveling

  • You should get all your routine care before traveling. It isn't usually authorized.
  • But, if you need routine care:
    • You must contact your primary care manager (PCM) first.
    • Call International SOS at 1-877-451-8659 before getting care or making payments. 

Traveling in the United States

  1. You have priority access to military hospitals and clinics.
  2. If you have an emergency:
    • Call 911 or go to your nearest emergency roomThe hospital department that provides emergency services to patients who need immediate medical attention..
    • If admitted, call your regional call center.
  3. If you need urgent care:
    • Try to get care at a military hospital or clinic.
    • You can visit a TRICARE-authorized providerAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network. DS without a referral or authorization.

Traveling in another Overseas Area

  1. If you have an emergency, go to the nearest emergency care facility.
    • Before you leave, contact International SOS Medical Assistance.
      • Eurasia-Africa: +44-20-8762-8133
      • Latin America & Canada: 1-215-942-8320
      • Pacific (Sydney): +65-6338-9277
      • Pacific (Singapore): +61-2-9273-2760
    • If admitted, International SOS will: 
      • Coordinate with the facility for payment
      • Determine whether you should be transferred to another facility
      • Coordinate emergency transport, if needed.
  2. If you need urgent care:
    • Try to get all non-emergency care from a military hospital or clinic, when possible. 
    • If not, pre-authorization from International SOS is required.

Need Prescriptions When Traveling?

You should get your prescriptions filled before you travel. But, if you need a prescription filled while traveling you can:

  • Go to a military pharmacy if one is nearby. You should call them first to see if they stock your prescription.
  • Find the closest network pharmacy, which are available in the U.S. and U.S. Territories.
  • Use home delivery if you're taking a long vacation. You can arrange for any regular prescriptions to be filled via home delivery.

Learn more about your options for filling prescriptions.

Last Updated 6/30/2023