Skip to main content
TRICARE Transition Challenges in the West Region
We are aware of the customer service issues our patients are experiencing in the West Region. Learn more about how we are fixing these issues, including waiving our usual authorization process through March 18.

TRICARE logo Go to TRICARE home


How you disenroll depends on which health plan option you're using. Please select your plan from the list below:

If you would like to request reconsideration of involuntary disenrollment, late initial enrollment, or late change to coverage, submit a Reconsideration Request for your region and plan.

If enrolled in the US Family Health Plan, please call 1-800-748-7347 for assistance.

Last Updated 12/26/2017