Resources for Families with Special Needs
If you have a family member with special needs or a serious illness or injury, you may not know where to turn for help. Many resources are available to you and your family.
Exceptional Family Member Program
The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) is a program specific to your Service. It's used to coordinate assignments to support families with special medical and educational needs. For more information about the EFMP:
- Talk to your Service point of contact
- Call Military OneSource at 1-800-342-9647
Whether it's help with child care, emotional support during deployments, relocation information or resources, Military OneSource is there for military personnel and their families... 24/7/365! The service is available by phone, online and face-to-face through private counseling sessions in the local community. Find information about:
- The Exceptional Family Member Program or "EFMP"
- Special Education
- Adults with Special Needs
- Federal Programs
Military OneSource Specialty Consultants
Military OneSource Specialty Consultants offer personalized consultations on such issues as education, special needs and finances are available for military families with special needs. The service also offers you customized research on community resources and appropriate military referrals. Military OneSource has a variety of special needs tip sheets, booklets, CDs and other materials available at no cost.
Call a Military OneSource Specialty Consultant today:
- Stateside (CONUS50 United States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands): 1-800-342-9647
- Overseas (OCONUSAreas outside of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands): 1-800-3429-6477
- Collect from Overseas (OCONUS): 1-484-530-5908
- En español llame al: 1-877-888-0727
- TTY/TDD: 1-800-346-9188
- Korea DSN: 550-ARMY (2769)
Talk to your child’s case manager and regional contractor before you move. They can help you find a new doctor and other resources so the transition is smooth with no interruptions in coverage.
Last Updated 8/19/2022