Hospitalization for Medical or Surgical Care
TRICARE covers initial and subsequent hospital care when care is provided by an individual professional provider.
- An initial hospital visit includes the history, examination, and medical decision-making.
- Subsequent hospital care consists of visits after the initial visit and includes interval history, examination, and medical decision-making.
Hospital care includes:
- A semiprivate room (and when medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition., special care units)
- Nursing services
- Laboratory tests
- X-ray and other radiology services
- Medical supplies and appliances
- Blood and blood products
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessary and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 6/18/2020