|Covered by TRICARE?||Limits|
For children under age 6 (from birth through age 5)
TRICARE covers well-child care for children under age 6 (from birth through age 5) including the following:
- Newborn care such as routine care in the hospital, circumcision, and newborn screening as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- History and physical examination and mental health assessment.
- Developmental and behavioral appraisal
- Height and weight
- Head circumference (through age 2)
- Eye and vision screening by primary care provider at birth and approximately 6 months of age
- Audiology (hearing) screening before 1 month old (usually performed during newborn care at hospital); additional audiologic screening/testing is covered for infants at high risk for hearing loss in accordance with American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and Joint Commission on Infant Hearing (JCIH) guidelines
- Dental Screenings
- Routine immunizations
- Heredity and metabolic screening
- Tuberculin test (at 12 months of age and once during 2nd year)
- Hemoglobin or hematocrit testing (once during first year and once during 2nd year)
- Urinalysis (once during first year and once during 2nd year)
- Annual blood pressure screening for children between 3 and 6 years
- Health guidance and counseling (including breast feeding and nutrition)
- One routine eye examination by an ophthalmologist or optometrist every 2 years beginning at age 3. These routine eye exams offered between the child's 3rd and 6th birthdays should include screening for amblyopia and strabismus. (Coverage for well-child eye exams end on the child’s 6th birthday.)
Watch the Video: Well-Child Care
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessary and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.