TRICARE logo DHA Home About DHA Conferences TRICARE Contacts Feedback Site Map
CRSC Travel Benefits

Combat-Related Special Compensation Travel Entitlement

The Combat-Related Special Compensation Travel (CRSC) Benefit (FY 08 NDAA, Sec 1632) provides reimbursement for travel-related expenses for qualified service members who must travel more than 100 miles (one way) from the referring provider's location to obtain medically necessary, nonemergency specialty care for a combat-related disability. This benefit is retro-active for travel completed on or after January 1, 2008.

Combat-Related Special Compensation Travel Eligibility

To qualify, the beneficiary must meet all of the following criteria:
  • Receive retired, retired retainer or equivalent pay
  • Awarded a CRSC determination letter from your service's CRSC Board identifying the combat-related disability or disabilities
  • Live in the United States
  • Covered under TRICARE Standard and Extra or TRICARE For Life
  • Referred by a provider that is more than 100 miles from the referring provider for specialty care for the combat-related disability
(TRICARE Prime enrollees are reimbursed under the Prime Travel Benefit. Click here to learn more about the TRICARE Prime Travel Benefit.)

How the Program Works

The TRICARE Regional Office-North (TRO-North) determines if the specialty care is more than 100 miles from the referring provider and eligible for travel benefits.

Get a referral for specialty care before you travel. Beneficiaries using TRICARE Standard and Extra or TRICARE For Life are not normally required to get a referral for any type of care. However, you must have a referral to qualify for this benefit. To get a referral, please talk to the doctor you normally visit for regular check-ups and ask him or her to write a referral to the provider you need to see to treat the combat-related disability. He or she should indicate in the referral if a non-medical attendant is needed.

In addition, the specialty care provider should complete the Provider Treatment Confirmation Letter verifying that the appointment is related to the combat disability. The specialty care provider may also write the appointment confirmation on the doctor’s office letterhead.

Submit the referral and all other paperwork to the TRO-North with an Intake Form. The traveler must also have a CRSC letter from their uniformed service (e.g. Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force). A copy of the CRSC letter must be submitted with the Intake Form and referral.

After the care is received, submit completed and authorized claim forms (DD 1351-2 and 1351-3) for payment. This is a reimbursement program and travelers are reimbursed after actual expenses are incurred. Expenses must be directly associated with scheduled specialty care to be eligible for reimbursement. You or your provider can contact the TRO-North to determine eligibility for the travel program, file claims, and answer questions about the benefit. Contact TRO-North by calling 1-866-307-9749 or (703)-588-1867/1869.

Non-Medical Attendant

A Non-Medical Attendant (NMA) also known as the Attendant can travel with and/or drive the patient to the specialty care appointment. The NMA can be a parent, spouse, legal guardian, or other adult family member. If the NMA is not the parent, he/she must be 21 years of age or older. When supported by a doctor’s statement that a NMA is “medically necessary and appropriate” for a patient to travel for specialty care, expenses for one NMA may be authorized. Federal regulations authorize only one NMA.

Travel and Claims

When the NMA is an active duty service member (ADSM), contact the TRO-North office for travel authorization procedures. Reimbursements for the ADSM or government employee (GS) acting as the NMA are reimbursed per diem for meals and lodging. Receipts are required for hotel, parking and tolls. The ADSM or government employee submits claim form DD1351-2 AD/GS with required receipts. Click on Reimbursement and Receipts for guidelines, instructions, and example forms.

When patient is accompanied by a NMA that is a Non-Active Duty or Non-Government employee, both the patient and NMA submit claim forms. The patient and NMA each submit claims forms DD1351-2 and DD1351-3 with receipts. The CRSC Travel Benefit pays actual costs (i.e., meals, gasoline, parking, tolls, and lodging). Meals and lodging reimbursements are based on reasonable actual costs and limited to per diem rates. Patients traveling alone complete claim forms DD1351-2 and DD1351-3 with receipts. Click on Reimbursement and Receipts for guidelines, instructions, and example forms.

All payments will be made by Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT). The patient and NMA must each submit an EFT form and both cannot be reimbursed for the same travel expense.

Government per diem rates are available at

Beneficiaries are expected to use the least costly mode of transportation. High dollar expenses such as air fare and car rental require preauthorization.

A completed travel package includes:
  1. Intake form including zip codes
  2. Signed Claim forms DD 1351-2, DD 1351-3
  3. Receipts (lodging, meals, gasoline, etc)
  4. EFT Form for each Traveler
  5. Copy of CRSC letter
  6. Provider Treatment Confirmation Letter or an appointment confirmation letter on the doctor’s office letterhead
  7. PCM referral or authorization from the primary care physician
Completed travel packages can be sent to TRO-North via fax (703-588-0634) or mailed to:

TRICARE Regional Office-North
ATTN: Combat Related Special Compensation Travel
1700 N. Moore St., Suite 1200
Arlington VA, 22209.

TRO-North can be contacted by calling 1-866-307-9749 or 1-703-588-1867/1869.

For More Information

TRO-N Customer Service
Disaster Information
Reserve Component Information Briefings
TRICARE Prime Travel Benefit
TPR Request Forms
CRSC Travel Benefits
MHS Staff Training and Education