TRICARE For Life
TRICARE For Life is Medicare-wraparound coverage for TRICARE-eligible beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and B.
- Available worldwide:
- TRICARE pays after Medicare in the U.S. and U.S. Territories
- TRICARE is the first payer in all other overseas areas
- Meets requirements for minimum essential coverage
- Enrollment not required
Who Can Participate?
TRICARE-eligible beneficiaries who have both Medicare Part A and B can use TRICARE For Life.
Not sure if you're eligible? Check out the Eligibilty Page for details.
How it Works
You may visit any authorized provider. >>Find a Doctor
- Your provider files your claims with Medicare.
- Medicare pays its portion and sends the claim to the TRICARE For Life claims processor.
- TRICARE For Life then pays the provider directly for TRICARE-covered services.
You can get care at military hospitals and clinics, but only on a space-available basis. >>Find a Military Hospital or Clinic
What You Pay
You don't pay any enrollment fees, but you must pay Medicare Part B monthly premiums. Your Part B premium is based on your income.
For more information about Part B premiums:
- Visit the Medicare website
- Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778)
You'll pay nothing out of pocket for services covered by both Medicare and TRICARE. >>Learn More
TRICARE For Life Contractors
The TRICARE For Life contractors assist with claims and provide customer service to all beneficiaries using TRICARE For Life.
Is TRICARE For Life Right for You?
TRICARE For Life is the plan for you if:
- You're eligible for TRICARE
- You have both Medicare Part A and B
Coverage is available worldwide and you can see any provider you want. However, you will have greater out of pocket expenses if you get care from Veteran's Administration providers or providers who opt-out of Medicare, because they are not permitted to bill Medicare.
>>Learn More about TRICARE and Medicare Eligibility Requirements
Watch this video to learn more about TRICARE For Life.
Can I suspend my FEHB coverage to use TRICARE For Life?
Yes. Call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Information line at 1-888-767-6738 to get a suspension form.