TRICARE For Life
TRICARE For Life offers secondary coverage to Medicare for all TRICARE beneficiaries who have both Medicare Parts A and B.
- Available worldwide—Medicare provides coverage in the U.S. and U.S. Territories. In all other overseas locations, TRICARE is the primary payer.
- Meets requirements for minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
You may visit any authorized provider. >>Find a Doctor
Your provider will file your claims with Medicare. Medicare pays its portion and electronically forwards the claim to the TRICARE For Life claims processor. TRICARE For Life then pays the provider directly for TRICARE-covered services.
- For services covered by both Medicare and TRICARE, Medicare pays first and TRICARE For Life pays your remaining coinsurance for TRICARE-covered services.
- For services covered by TRICARE but not by Medicare, TRICARE For Life pays first and Medicare pays nothing. You must pay the TRICARE fiscal year deductible and cost shares.
- For services covered by Medicare but not by TRICARE, Medicare pays first and TRICARE For Life pays nothing. You must pay the Medicare deductible and coinsurance.
- For services not covered by Medicare or TRICARE, Medicare and TRICARE pay nothing and you must pay the entire bill.
You do not pay any enrollment fees, but you must pay Medicare Part B monthly premiums. Your Part B premium is based on your income. For more information about Part B premiums visit www.medicare.gov or call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778).
As described above, you'll pay nothing out of pocket for services covered by both Medicare and TRICARE. >>Learn More
TRICARE For Life Contractor
In the U.S. and U.S. Territories, Wisconsin Physicians Service (WPS) is the TRICARE For Life contractor. WPS-TRICARE For Life will provide customer service and claims processing services.
Is TRICARE For Life Right for You?
If you have both Medicare Part A and Part B, then TRICARE For Life is the plan for you. Coverage is available worldwide and you can see any provider you want. However, you will have greater out of pocket expenses if you get care from Veteran's Administration providers or providers who opt-out of Medicare, because they are not permitted to bill Medicare.
>>Learn More about TRICARE and Medicare Eligibility Requirements
Can I suspend my FEHB coverage to use TRICARE For Life?
Yes. Call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Information line at 1-888-767-6738 to get a suspension form.