TRICARE Standard and Extra
TRICARE Standard and Extra is a fee-for-service plan available in the United States.
Who Can Participate?
How it Works
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-Authorized ProviderAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network..
- If you visit a non-network provider, you're using the Standard option.
- If you visit a network provider, you're using the Extra option.
Referrals not required, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some services.
>>Learn More about Using Standard and Extra
What You Pay
Costs vary based on the sponsor's military status. You'll pay:
- An annual outpatient deductible
- Cost shares (or percentage) for covered services
>>View TRICARE Standard and Extra Costs
Is TRICARE Standard and Extra Right for You?
- If you're on active duty (including activated Guard/Reserve members), you can't use TRICARE Standard and Extra.
- TRICARE Standard and Extra may be the right choice for you if: