TRICARE Standard and Extra
TRICARE Standard and Extra is a fee-for-service plan available in the United States.
Who Can Participate?
- Active duty family members
- Retired service members and their families
- Family members of activated Guard/Reserve members
- Non-activated Guard/Reserve members and their families who qualify for care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Retired Guard/Reserve members (age 60 and receiving retired pay) and their families
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families
- Qualified former spouses
How it Works
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized provider, network or non-network. >>Find a Doctor
- If you visit a non-network provider, you're using the Standard option.
- If you visit a network provider, you're using the Extra option.
Referrals not required, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some services.
>>Learn More about Using Standard and Extra
What You Pay
Costs vary based on the sponsor's military status. You'll pay:
- An annual outpatient deductible
- Cost shares (or percentage) for covered services
>>View TRICARE Standard and Extra Costs
Is TRICARE Standard and Extra Right for You?
- Active duty service members (including activated Guard/Reserve members) can't use TRICARE Standard and Extra.
- TRICARE Standard and Extra may be the right choice for you if you have a provider who is not in the TRICARE network and you don't want to change providers.
- If you live in an area where TRICARE Prime is not available, TRICARE Standard and Extra may be your only option.