TRICARE Standard and Extra
TRICARE Standard and Extra is a fee-for-service plan available to all beneficiaries (except active duty service members) in the U.S.
- Enrollment not required—coverage is automatic as long as you are registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System.
- Meets requirements for minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
TRICARE Standard and Extra provide comprehensive health coverage. >>View Covered Services
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized provider, network or non-network. >>Find a Doctor
- If you visit a non-network provider, you're using the Standard option. You'll pay higher cost shares and may have to file your own health care claims.
- If you visit a network provider, you're using the Extra option. You'll pay lower cost shares and the provider will file health care claims for you.
Referrals not required, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some services.
>>Learn More about Getting Care
TRICARE Standard and Extra Costs
Costs vary based on the sponsor's military status. You'll pay:
- An annual outpatient deductible
- Cost shares (or percentage) for covered services
>>View TRICARE Standard and Extra Costs
Is TRICARE Standard and Extra Right for You?
- Active duty service members (including activated National Guard/Reserve members) can't use TRICARE Standard and Extra.
- TRICARE Standard and Extra may be the right choice for you if you have a provider who is not in the TRICARE network and you don't want to change providers.
- If you live in an area where TRICARE Prime is not available, TRICARE Standard and Extra may be your only option.