TRICARE Prime is a managed care option available in Prime Service AreasGeographic areas in the United States where we offer TRICARE Prime. We created Prime Service Areas to ensure medical readiness of the active duty force by augmenting the capability and capacity of military hospitals and clinics. Prime Service Areas were also built around the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) sites..
Additional Prime options for active duty service members and their families include:
- Active duty service members and their families
- Retired service members and their families*
- Activated Guard/Reserve members and their families
- Non-activated Guard/Reserve members and their families who qualify for care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Retired Guard/Reserve members (age 60 and receiving retired pay) and their families*
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families
- Qualified former spouses
*When retired service members and their families become eligible for TRICARE For Life, they are no longer able to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
TRICARE Prime provides comprehensive health coverage including enhanced preventive care and vision benefits. >>See What's Covered
You have an assigned primary care manager (PCM) who provides most of your care.
- Military or network provider
- Refers you to specialists for care he or she can't provide
- Works with your regional contractor for referrals/authorization
- Accepts your copayment and files claims for you
TRICARE Prime Costs
>>View TRICARE Prime Costs
Is TRICARE Prime Right for You?
- If you're on active duty, you have to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
- All others can choose to enroll or use TRICARE Standard and Extra.
- TRICARE Prime offers fewer out-of-pocket costs than TRICARE Standard and Extra, but less freedom of choice for providers.
Enrolling in TRICARE Prime
You have three options to enroll:
- Online via the Beneficiary Web Enrollment website
- Call your regional contractor
- North: 1-877-874-2273
- South: 1-800-444-5445
- West: 1-877-988-9378
- Mail the enrollment form to your regional contractor (mailing addresses on the form):
>>Visit the TRICARE Prime Enrollment Page to Learn More