Over-the-Counter Drugs and Supplies
TRICARE covers some over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and supplies. Most OTC drugs and supplies are available from military pharmacies, network pharmacies and through home delivery.
TRICARE covers the following OTC drugs with a prescription from your doctor:
OTC drugs aren't covered outside of the U.S. or U.S. Territories. Learn more about these OTC drugs, including costs and prescription alternatives, on the TRICARE Formulary Search Tool.
Filling OTC Prescriptions
- Get a prescription from your provider (except for Plan B) or ask him/her to e-prescribe.
- Take the prescription to a military pharmacy, network pharmacy or send it to Express Scripts to fill through home delivery.
TRICARE covers the following OTC supplies:
- Insulin products
- FreeStyle Lite and Precision Xtra blood glucose strips
- Urine glucose test strips
- Blood and urine ketone/acetone test strips
- Syringes and needles used for injectable medications
- Inhaler spacers
There are some limitations. You can search the TRICARE Formulary Search Tool to learn about the costs and prescription requirements for your OTC product, supply or device.
Medical supplies and devices not on this list may be covered by the medical benefit. Please contact your regional contractor for more information.