Billing : MSA
Medical Services Account (MSA)
MSA activities involve billing and collecting funds for medical and dental services provided in Defense Health Program (DHP) fixed facilities, including elective cosmetic surgery procedures, from:
- DoD beneficiaries,
- Other government agencies,
- DoD civilians and contractors,
- Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) employees,
- Authorized foreign military members,
- DoD Dependent School employees,
- Army and Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES) employees,
- Secretarial Designees,
- Civilian emergency patients, and
- Other non DoD beneficiary patients authorized to receive treatment in MTFs.
The rates used for MSA billing are included in the Inpatient Adjusted Standardized Amounts (ASA) and Outpatient Itemized Billing (OIB) rate packages approved annually by the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs. The billed amount is based on patient category an individual’s eligibility status and (PATCAT) at the time care is rendered. The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) is the official system for determining eligibility for most patients.
Funds collected through MSA are used to enhance health care delivery at the MTF providing the care.