Autism Spectrum Disorder Coverage
TRICARE covers many services for beneficiaries with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD):
We also cover Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA). And the benefit will soon be easier to use and understand.
What is Applied Behavior Analysis?
ABA applies behavioral principles, such as positive re-enforcement, to everyday situations. The goal is to increase or decrease targeted behaviors. ABA can help develop different skills, such as speech, self-help or and play skills. It can also help to decrease behaviors such as aggression or self-injury.
What’s TRICARE’s current coverage for ABA?
Right now, TRICARE covers ABA with a combination of three benefits:
A recent Federal Register Notice created the new TRICARE Comprehensive Autism Care Demonstration (Autism Care Demo) that replaces these ABA benefits with one simple program.
Why the Change?
The new Autism Care Demo will:
- Simplify the current programs into one.
- Cover ABA for all beneficiaries with ASD
- Keep most of the current rules
To learn more, you can:
What do I need to do now?
If your child is getting ABA or related services now:
- You don’t need to do anything
- You’ll be moved to the new program automatically
- There will be no changes to your current treatment plan
You can expect:
- No break in coverage
- No increase in costs
- No decrease in benefits
If you have a new ASD diagnosis, you’ll be covered under the new Autism Care Demo. We’re finalizing policy language now to implement this program. We will announce more details soon. For updates, you can:
- Check back to this page for updates, or
- Sign up for email alerts about the new Autism Care Demo.
>>View More Questions & Answers