TRICARE is managed by TRICARE Management Activity (TMA), a field activity under the policy guidance and direction of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Health Affairs) (ASD[HA]). The TMA manages the TRICARE budget, executes TRICARE policies and oversees the entire TRICARE health program.
As a major component of the Military Health System, TRICARE combines the health care resources of the uniformed services with networks of civilian health care professionals, institutions, pharmacies and suppliers to provide access to high-quality health care services while maintaining the capability to support military operations.
TMA is organized into four geographic health service regions:
The Overseas Region is also divided into three areas: Eurasia-Africa, Latin America & Canada and Pacific. Each U.S. region and Overseas Area has its own TRICARE Regional/Area Office and Regional/Area Director. Each region/area:
- Provides oversight of regional operations and health plan administration at the regional level;
- Manages the contracts with regional contractors;
- Supports Commanders at military hospitals and clinics;
- Develops business plans for areas not served by military hospitals and clinics (e.g. remote areas); and
- Funds regional initiatives to optimize and improve delivery of health care.
TMA has partnered with regional contractors in each region (North, South, West and Overseas) to provide health care services and support to beneficiaries.