Foreign Force Members and Families
Foreign force members and their dependents may receive medical care in the United States through the Foreign Force Member Department of Defense (DoD) Health Care option. To qualify foreign force members and their dependents must:
- be from countries that participate in one or more of the following:
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA)
- Partnership for Peace Agreement (PFP)
- Reciprocal Health Care Agreement
- be in the continental United States on military orders conducting business with the DoD.
- register in DEERS at their local ID card office and need to get a valid military ID card.
Health Care Benefits
Benefits are not the same for all foreign force members. Visit the Force Health Protection Website to learn about your country's Health Care Agreements. In general, you may be eligible for one of the following:
- Care only in military hospitals, medical clinics and dental clinics
- Care from military hospitals, medical clinics, dental clinics and from civilian TRICARE-authorized providers
You will need to establish an accout to actually view your health information. >>Log In Now
Members from Countries with an active Reciprocal Health Care Agreement
- You are only eligible for care in military hospitals or clinics.
- You can receive routine, urgent, specialty or preventive health care at a military hospital or clinic where you will have an assigned primary physician.
- You must have all prescriptions filled at the pharmacy at your assigned military hospital or clinic.
Members from Countries with a Status of Forces Agreement
You may receive care both in military hospitals and clinics and from civilian TRICARE-authorized providers.
- Active duty foreign force members must have a referral for civilian outpatient care.
- Family members do not need a referral and may get care following TRICARE Standard rules.
- Family members are also eligible for TRICARE's pharmacy benefits.
For More Information
If you still have questions, contact one of the following: