The TRICARE Formulary is a list of brand name and generic drugs and supplies that TRICARE covers.
We have three tiers in our formularyEstablished by the DoD Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee and Beneficiary Advisory Panel..
- Tier 1: Formulary-Generic
- Tier 2: Formulary-Brand Name
- Tier 3: Non-Formulary
We review and update the TRICARE Formulary each quarter. After each review, some drugs may move from formulary to non-formulary status. You’ll get a letter from Express Scripts if you have a prescription for a drug that’s changing to non-formulary.
- You can get non-formulary drugs filled for a higher cost through home delivery and at most retail network pharmacies.
- Some non-formulary drugs are only covered through home delivery.
- You can get the non-formulary drugs at the formulary cost share (or no cost share for active duty) if your provider can establish medical necessity.
What is the Basic Core Formulary (BCF)?
The BCF is a list of prescription drugs that all full-service military hospitals and clinics must have available. Prescription drugs on the BCF will meet most of your primary care needs. Military hospitals and clinics may add other drugs to their formulary list based on their patients' needs.