You may qualify for early TRICARE eligibilty if you're issued:
- Delayed-effective-date active duty orders
- For more than 30 days
- In support of a contingency operation
Eligibility begins on the date your orders are issued or 180 days before you report to active duty, whichever is later. During this "pre-activation" period, you qualify for the same benefits as you have when you're activatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row..
Health Care Options
You'll enroll in a TRICARE Prime option at your final duty station:
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Prime Overseas
- TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas
If you need any specialty, urgent or inpatient care before you’re enrolled, try to get care at a military hospital or clinic first. If care isn't available at a military hospital or clinic and you’re referred to a TRICARE network provider, you need authorization from your regional contractor.
- Find a military hospital or clinic
- Contact your regional contractor:
- North RegionConnecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (Rock Island area), Kentucky (except Fort Campbell), Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri (St. Louis area), New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.: Health Net Federal Services
- South RegionAlabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (excluding El Paso area), and Fort Campbell, Kentucky: Humana Military Healthcare Services
- West RegionAlaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa (excludes Rock Island arsenal area), Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri (except St. Louis area), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas (southwestern corner including El Paso), Utah, Washington and Wyoming.: UnitedHealthcare Military & Veterans
- Overseas: International SOS
Not sure which region you’re in? Visit the TRICARE Regions page to find out.
If your sponsor becomes eligible for active duty benefits, you too become eligible for active duty benefits as an active duty family member. If you already have other health insuranceHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance.", you may continue to use this as your primary insurance or elect to use TRICARE. Visit the other health insurance page to learn more about how to coordinate other health insurance with TRICARE.
During the pre-activation period, you may:
- Continue to use your other health insurance
- Use TRICARE Standard and Extra
- Enroll in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote
- Get care at a military hospital or clinic, or with a civilian, authorized TRICARE provider
Whatever you decide to do, keep copies of your health care receipts and explanations of benefits for care received during the pre-activation period