Filling Prescriptions Overseas
Are you living overseas?
- Fill most prescriptions at military or host nation pharmacies.
- Home delivery available with some limits.
- Network pharmacies only available in the U.S. and U.S. territories.
Are you traveling overseas?
- We recommend that you fill prescriptions before you travel.
- If you do run out of your prescription drug, you can use a military or host nation pharmacy.
You can get your prescriptions filled at military pharmacies for free.
- Military pharmacies are usually at a military hospital or clinic.
- Some military bases have free-standing pharmacies located elsewhere on the base.
If you have a prescription from a host nation provider, you can fill it at a military pharmacy, but there are some limits:
Host Nation Pharmacies
In some cases, host nation pharmacies may be your only option. You may have to pay for the total amount first and then file a claim for reimbursement.
- Active duty service members will get a full reimbursement
- Active duty family will get a full reimbursement if they:
- Are enrolled in TRICARE Prime Overseas or TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas, and
- Get prior authorization to use a host nation pharmacy
- All others will get a partial reimbursement based on non-network pharmacy costs.
TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery
To use home delivery overseas, you:
- Must get your prescription from a U.S.-licensed provider
- Must use your APO/FPO address
- Should use the embassy address if you’re assigned to an embassy and don’t have an APO/FPO address
- Can’t use private foreign addresses
- Can’t use APO/FPO addresses for refrigerated drugs
There may be local restrictions, including:
- Home delivery to APO/FPO addresses is subject to local customs laws.
- Prescription drugs sent to APO/FPO addresses may be seized by customs authorities.
- If your prescriptions are seized, contact Express Scripts at 1-877-363-1303. Or look up your local toll-free number to find out other ways to get your prescription filled.
- Home delivery isn’t available in Germany.
You can avoid problems overseas by getting your prescriptions filled at a military pharmacy or a local host nation pharmacy.
TRICARE Network Pharmacies
The only TRICARE network pharmacies overseas are in the following U.S. Territories:
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- Northern Mariana Islands
If you’re living or traveling in other overseas nations, you must use military pharmacies or host nation pharmacies.