Changes to Prime Service Areas
On October 1, 2013, some Prime Service Areas (PSAs)Geographic areas in the United States where TRICARE Prime is offered. Prime Service Areas were created to ensure medical readiness of the active duty force by augmenting the capability and capacity of military hospitals and clinics. Prime Service Areas were also built around the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) sites. were eliminated.
- You received a letter and/or phone call if you were affected by the change. If you're still not sure, check the ZIP Code Look-up Tool.
- All (non-active duty) beneficiaries remain eligible for TRICARE Standard. Watch the video: How to Use TRICARE Standard.
- The PSA changes do not affect any other TRICARE benefits, such as pharmacy or dental coverage.
TRICARE is reviewing how the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act changes will impact patients who were in areas affected by PSA changes.
What this Means for Beneficiaries Living in an Affected PSA
Beneficiaries Not Affected by the PSA Changes:
- Active duty service members and family enrolled in TRICARE Prime*
- Activated Guard/Reserve members and family enrolled in TRICARE Prime*
- Surviving spouses of deceased active duty service members enrolled in TRICARE Prime* (for the first three years after the sponsor's death)
- Surviving children of deceased active duty service members enrolled in TRICARE Prime*
- Children of active duty service members using TRICARE Young Adult-Prime
- Beneficiaries who already use TRICARE Standard and Extra
- Beneficiaries using TRICARE Retired Reserve, TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Young Adult-Standard or TRICARE For Life
*If you move, you may be required to transfer your Prime coverage (or in some cases disenroll) or find a new primary care manager. >>Learn More about Moving
Retired Service Members and Family enrolled in TRICARE Prime:
Note: This is also true for others who are covered like retired service members (i.e. former spouses, surviving spouses of deceased active duty service members after three years, Medal of Honor recipients, etc.)
Children of Retired Service Members using TRICARE Young Adult-Prime:
- Your option switched to TRICARE Young Adult-Standard on October 1, 2013.
- Check with your regional contractor if your monthly premium rate did not change.
For More Information