Other Health Insurance
Any health insurance you have in addition to TRICARE through an employer or private insurance program is considered "other health insurance."
- TRICARE pays second after any other health insurance plan.
- Tell your provider and regional contractor when you have other health insurance.
Keeping your regional contractor informed about your other health insurance will allow TRICARE to better coordinate your benefits and will help ensure that there is no delay in payment of claims.
Coordination of Benefits
- Follow your other health insurance plan's rules for filing claims, and file claims with them first.
- If there is an amount your other health insurance doesn't cover, file the claim with TRICARE for reimbursement.
- If your other health insurance denies a claim for failure to follow their rules, such as getting care without authorization or using a non-network provider, TRICARE may also deny your claim.