Bread Crumbs


A National Guard or Reserve member "deactivates" when his or her active duty orders end after serving more than 30 consecutive days.

When you lose eligibility for active duty benefits, you'll still need to have minimal essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act. TRICARE's transitional health benefits and TRICARE Reserve Select (described below) will meet these requirements, but you should also search the Health Insurance Marketplace to make the best decision for you and your family.

Your Health Care Options

If Activated in Support of a Contingency Operation:

You're immediately covered by the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) for 180-days.

  • TAMP coverage begins on the first day after your active duty service ends.
  • Family members are also covered by TAMP.  

After TAMP ends, you'll need to some make decisions to keep minimum essential coverage:

If Activated but Not in Support of a Contingency Operation:

You don't qualify for TAMP and your active duty benefits end immediately. You'll need to make some decisions to keep minimum essential coverage.

Line of Duty Care

You're covered for any illness, injury or disease sustained or aggravated in the line of duty. >>Learn More

Prescription Drug Coverage

You're eligible for TRICARE's pharmacy benefit only if you're covered by TAMP, TRICARE Reserve Select or the Continued Health Care Benefit Program.

Dental Coverage

  • If you qualify for TAMP, you're covered by active duty dental benefits.
  • When TAMP or active duty benefits end (depending on type of activation):
    • If previously enrolled in the TRICARE Dental Program, your coverage automatically resumes
    • You'll start paying your monthly premiums again until you meet your 12-month minimum enrollment period.
    • If your family is enrolled in the TRICARE Dental Program, their coverage continues uninterrupted, but their premium payments will change back to their original rates.

Children Enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult

For your child to remain eligible for and enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult, you must also be eligible for TRICARE benefits through TAMP or by purchasing TRICARE Reserve Select. If you're not covered by TAMP or TRICARE Reserve Select when you deactivate, your child's eligibility for TRICARE Young Adult also ends.

In this scenario, your child can purchase the Continued Health Care Benefit Program.

Last Updated 7/24/2014