Getting Care When Traveling During School Breaks
You should get all of your routine care from your regular doctor before you travel during a school break, especially if you use TRICARE Prime.
If you need to see a doctor when traveling, here are some basic guidelines.
Go to the nearest emergency room, or call 911.
- You may need to pay up front and file a claim for reimbursement.
- Keep all of your receipts and file claims in the region where you live, not where you went to the ER.
- If you use a TRICARE Prime plan, be sure to call your regional contractor or primary care manager within 24 hours.
All Other Types of Care
- If you use a TRICARE Prime plan, you need a referral from your primary care manager for any non-emergency care, including urgent care.
- For all others, visit any TRICARE-authorized provider. You may need to pay up front and file a claim for reimbursement.