Getting TRICARE for Your Child
You can get TRICARE for your child in two steps:
- Register your newborn or adopted child in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). You must enroll in DEERS for TRICARE coverage.
- Choose a TRICARE health plan and enroll your child if necessary.
You don't need a Social Security number to register your child in DEERS. Once you have one, update DEERS with that number. >>Learn More
Health Plan Options
Your newborn or adopted child will have the same health plan options that you have:
TRICARE Standard and Extra
- TRICARE Standard and Extra coverage is automatic once you register your child in DEERS.
- If you live in a Prime Service Area, you may also enroll your child in TRICARE Prime.
TRICARE Prime & TRICARE Prime Remote
- If any family member already has TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote, your child also has it for the first 60 days.
- If you don’t register your child in DEERS and enroll them in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote within the first 60 days, the coverage will revert to TRICARE Standard and Extra.
TRICARE Prime Overseas & TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas
- If any family member already has TRICARE Prime Overseas or TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas, your child also has it for the first 120 days.
- If you don’t register your child in DEERS and enroll them in TRICARE Prime Overseas or TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas within those first 120 days, the coverage will revert to TRICARE Standard Overseas.
TRICARE Reserve Select & TRICARE Retired Reserve
- If you’re using TRICARE Reserve Select or TRICARE Retired Reserve, your child isn’t automatically covered.
- Claims won't be paid until you have added your child to your plan.
You need to register your child in DEERS within one year (365 days) of his or her birth or adoption. On day 366, your child won’t be able to receive benefits until you register them in DEERS.