Line of Duty Care

You qualify for line of duty care if you are injured or become severely ill in the line of duty. This includes when traveling directly to or from your place of duty. To get line of duty care, your unit must issue a Line of Duty (LOD) determination (or a Notice of Eligibility [NOE] if you're in the U.S. Coast Guard).

LOD/NOE determinations are used to establish, manage, and authorize health care for any specific injury, illness or disease that results in emergency or urgent care while serving on drill weekends or annual training. LOD/NOE coverage is separate from any other TRICARE coverage, including:

Line of duty care alone isn't considered minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act. If you have no other TRICARE coverage (i.e. TAMP, TRICARE Reserve Select, etc.), then you don't have minimum essential coverage.

Note to Air Force Reservists:

A military hospital or clinic can verify your eligibility for LOD Care by calling the Air Force Reserve Command toll-free at 1-888-577- 2561, option “4” from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm EST, Monday – Friday. 

Your full Social Security number is required to verify eligibility.

Last Updated 5/8/2014

contact Your Contacts
Defense Health Agency, Great Lakes


DHA, Great Lakes Website

View More Contacts

Email Updates Email Updates

Sign up for email updates about Guard/Reserve benefits.