Military Hospitals and Clinics
Military hospitals and clinics are:
- The core of the Military Health System
- Found at military bases and posts around the world
- Referred to as direct care, military treatment facilities or MTFs
Find a Military Hospital or Clinic
There are several different types of military facilities, each providing different levels of service.
- Integrated networks of military hospitals and clinics.
- May be comprised of any combination of medical centers, hospitals or clinics
- 15 around the world—11 in the U.S. and 4 overseas
- Six are considered "enhanced" because of size and medical mission:
- Largest type of military facility
- Offer hospitalization and outpatient services
- Multiple specialties and sub-specialtiesi.e. Neurosurgery, Bariatric Surgery, etc.
- Serve as trauma centers in the community for military and civilian patients
- Usually participate in General Medical Education and medical research programs
- Smallest military facility
- Only offers outpatient services; no hospitalization
- Limited number of specialtiesi.e. Family Practice, Optometry, etc.
- Some clinics limited to primary care only
- Some clinics limited to active duty service members only